Saturday, August 26, 2017

An Exhilarating Whale Shark Watching Experience Only at Oslob, Cebu



Exhilarating? Yes! That is the right word I can describe of what we felt the day we encountered the gentle giants of Oslob, Cebu - The Whale Sharks! Scary? No! But yeah, I admit, at first I felt a little nervous but I am so excited to see them underwater. Told myself that this is my chance to see them, and won't let the day pass without having that awesome experience. And hey, since it was my birthday, I might as well go and enjoy!  

Oslob, Cebu is a 3 to 4-hour drive from Cebu City and the Oslob Whale Shark Watching area is only open from 6 am 'til 11:30 am so we went to Oslob on a Saturday afternoon to be ready for the early trip to the Whale Shark briefing area because from what I've read from blogger friends, we need to be early and ready for the long lines since it was a weekend. Getting ready for the trip, few days before, I booked an overnight stay at a nearby hotel - Ging-Ging Hotel and Resort located at Looc, Oslob, Cebu. 


Ging-Ging Hotel & Resort is truly a place where you can relax while listening to the waves of the sea and appreciating the awesome view. They also have swimming pool, but you can go to the beach also if you want. Rooms and bathrooms are clean, it has TV, AC plus you will really love the view from the veranda.  This is the view from our veranda.



Their food is sumptuous too, my apologies that I wasn't able to take a picture of the Sinigang na Hipon and Beef Broccoli that we've had for our lunch because I am so hungry hahaha. Plus the fact that you really can't resist eating the food they served. But I saved a picture of the Clubhouse Sandwich and Spaghetti Carbonara that we've had on our snack. 



They serve our food hot and fast and their crew was friendly and accommodating. They wear proper uniforms as well. Overall, we enjoyed our stay at Ging-Ging Hotel & Resort, I would really recommend their place. Kudos to all the management and staff of Ging-Ging Hotel & Resort!

As early as 5:30 am, we got up and ready to go at the Whale Shark briefing area. It's only 10-15 minutes away from where we stayed. Upon reaching the place at 6 am, parking spaces are almost full, there are a huge number of tourists already. The first step is to register, then to listen to the 5-minute briefing, after that, you can pay at the cashier. 500 pesos if you are going to swim with the whale sharks (they will provide you with life vests, goggles, and snorkels) and 300 pesos if you will just be sitting on the paddle boat (with life vests of course). But you cannot see the whole size of the Whale Sharks, just their mouths because there are boatmen that are feeding them with "alamang" or the small fishes which are their favorite food. 



And to show you what really happened at our very exhilarating Whale Shark watching experience at Oslob, I've made a video of our close encounter with the Whale Sharks - "Oslob's Gentle Giants" or the "Butanding" for the locals. 



They are so huge! I am a meter close to the Whale Shark that I don't need to zoom my camera just so have a glimpse of them and share with all of you what we saw underwater. I am also amazed how the locals of Oslob, Cebu maintained their beaches. It was crystal clear and you can see corals underwater. And Oh! I also saw lots of small fishes that I only see at the aquarium or the Oceanarium. Even my kids love what they experienced. It's so exhilarating indeed! We are allowed to stay in the water for only 30 minutes, but it is so worth it. I remember 15 to 20 minutes in the water makes my leg itch. I think it is because of the "alamang" or the small fishes that the Whale Sharks are eating. After the 30-minute encounter, they have a shower area. In my case that I have few rashes, so after the shower, I immediately applied a Miracle Oil (that I bought online) on my legs and arms also on my kids to prevent those rashes and it was good because it disappeared immediately. 

Near the briefing area, you can see Sumilon Island. You can have a boat ride going there. Prices range from 1,200 to 2,500 pesos depending on your group size. You can negotiate with the boatmen for the price. 

Sumilon Island
  Outside the briefing area, souvenir items are also available. I bought these adorable whale shark refrigerator magnets, key chains, (priced at 35 pesos or 3 for 100 pesos) and shirts that range from 120 pesos to 350 pesos. Kinda pricey but they're so cute!  


Going home, we saw a street dancing going on at Oslob's SadSad Festival. 


Watched some of the groups, and because of the heavy traffic, we are routed to a different road which surprisingly heads us to Oslob's historical places such as the Cuartel, Baluarte and their church. Museo Oslob is also near the area so we took the opportunity to see them.

CUARTEL
Served as the barracks for the Spanish armies but was halted during the arrival of Americans. 
BALUARTE
One of the seven watchtowers built along the coastline of Oslob. The local people also referred this Baluarte as "Lantawan" or Watchtower.
MUSEO OSLOB
We saw old things here, truly educational. 

Don't forget to buy Lechon and Chicharon at Carcar City, and Buko Pie at San Fernando, Cebu. 

Book your tour with 3Z's Affordable Cebu Package Tours 


City Tour Package:
⛲Fort San Pedro
🏛️Magellan's Cross
🕍Basilica Minore del Sto Niño
🏛️Malacañan sa Sugbo
🏢Cebu Heritage Monument
🏯Taoist Temple
⛩️Temple of Leah
🌹Sirao Garden (entrance fee excluded)

Other destinations in Lapu-Lapu City
⛲Mactan Shrine or Lantaw Floating Restaurant / 10,000 Roses

South Cebu Tour Package:
🐋Whale Shark Encounter
🏝️Sumilon Island Sandbar (boat excluded)
🕍Simala Shrine
⛲Oslob Heritage Park (Baluarte, Cuartel, Oslob Museum)

Other destinations in South Cebu:
*Kawasan Falls (Canyoneering or just the Falls)
*MoalBoal Island hopping (Turtle, Sardines, Dolphins, Pescador island)

Inclusions:
- Pick up and drop off to airport or hotel
- Entrance fees
- Boat rental
- Life vest and snorkels

*Private car 3-4 persons
*Van for 6-15 persons
*We customize and arrange tours
*Down payment of 500 pesos per head 3-5 days of booking schedule.

For rates and inquiries, PM us or
Email: 3zaffordablecebupackagetours@gmail.com
contact #: 09277589749

Off to more adventures in Cebu! 
Follow me on social media for more of my travel adventures!
www.facebook.com/Baliwagenews
IG: @Baliwagenews       
Twitter: @Baliwagenews      

1 comment:

  1. It’s the perfect combination with swimming with the whale sharks by availingOslob tour package of Aj’s Resort Place

    ReplyDelete